Bert Armstrong has served the nonprofit community for 28 years as a fundraising professional and administrator, working in the fields of human services, child and family services, arts, and higher education. As co-founder and principal of Armstrong McGuire, Bert works with Armstrong McGuire's team of talented professionals in helping clients think strategically about issues that are critical to the fulfillment of their missions. Over the past decade, he has led numerous searches for chief executives and fundraising professionals, facilitated dynamic planning efforts, and helped Armstrong McGuire clients raise tens of millions of dollars.
Career and Personal highlights:
- Co-founded Armstrong McGuire in January 2004; firm has grown from a two-person shop to a nine-member team of professionals with over 300 completed client engagements
- Served as Vice President for Advancement at the Methodist Home for Children, 1995 – 2003; Under his leadership, the Methodist Home increased annual giving by 250%, achieved record growth in institution's endowment, and successful completion of the most ambitious capital campaign in its history
- Corporate Development Officer, North Carolina Museum of Art, 1992 – 1995
- Development Officer, Louisburg College, 1989 – 1992
- 2003 Outstanding Fundraising Executive, Triangle Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals
- 2004 Development Director of the Year, United Methodist Association (national accrediting body for child and family service agencies, retirement communities and health care organizations
- Past president of the Triangle Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals as well as having served additional terms on the chapter Board of Directors
- Served as a political field representative for 1988 NC gubernatorial campaign of Bob Jordan
- 1986 graduate of Wake Forest University with a degree in Political Science.
- Married to Melanie Armstrong; son Robert (22) and daughter Jenni (19)
- Lifelong United Methodist; member of Edenton Street UMC since 1990.
- Lifelong resident of North Carolina; born and raised in Mount Gilead, NC