NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina seeks a dynamic and skilled Executive Director to lead the organization through an exciting time of growth and advancement in North Carolina. NARAL NC works to support all North Carolinians' right and ability to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive health choices, including, yet not limited to, preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina (an affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America) is a grassroots 501(c) (4) lobbying organization. Additional affiliated organizations help advance the NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina mission. The NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation, a 501(c) (3), conducts education and research intended to increase public awareness of relevant reproductive health care issues. The NARAL Pro-Choice NC PAC, a state political action committee, conducts direct electoral work with and for pro-choice candidates. The Executive Director is responsible for programmatic management, financial and administrative management of NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina and its affiliated organizations.
In addition to overall responsibility for programs and day-to-day operations, the Executive Director will be expected to play a strong, visible, and strategic role in promoting statewide relationship building among coalition partners, donors, funders and North Carolinians; collaboration with the Board of Directors in strategic planning; and recruitment and management of a talented staff team.
- Serve as the face and voice of a prominent, statewide organization committed to reproductive rights and justice.
- Maintain a leadership position with the pro-choice coalition across NC and foster positive relationships with allies at the state level as well as NARAL Pro-Choice America at the national level and its other affiliates.
- Provide thoughtful leadership and vision to work with the Boards of Directors to set the strategic direction, priorities and policies for the affiliated organizations.
- Lead state in legislative political advocacy campaign.
- Manage and motivate staff in ways that result in consistent high levels of public policy and development performance.
- Help deepen relationships with current donors and create meaningful relationships with major institutional and individual donors.
- Oversee all development activities including individual, corporate and foundation giving, membership, direct mail, phone solicitation, events, sponsorships and all other revenue-generating programs.
- Proactively direct all aspects of grant research, drafting, reporting, and compliance.
Public Affairs & Advocacy Management
- Manage work of the Public Policy and Advocacy Director which may include; maintaining relationships with policy makers and government leaders in order to build NARAL’s reputation and advocate for NARAL NC's mission.
- Serve as a media spokesperson and oversee work that engages media at every level to develop and drive communications that engage and educate our members and the general public.
- Direct coalition building and other relationship building efforts across NC, especially among nontraditional partners, woman-centered, and women of color-led organizations.
- Encourage knowledge of tools and technologies to increase constituent engagement.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of NARAL Pro-Choice NC and its affiliated organization.
- Supervise, evaluate and empower Public Policy Director, Advocacy Director and an Administrative Assistant in a supportive manner and in accordance with organizational policies.
- Identify and foster opportunities for staff leadership and professional development.
- When necessary and appropriate, identify, retain and manage legal counsel, accountants, auditors, consultants, donors, funders and other service providers.
- Work with the Board of Directors in accordance with the strategic plan and available resources to identify additional staffing needs and implement any organizational structural changes, including development of a sustainable organizational structure to support general management responsibilities and the mission of the organization.
- Develop, implement and manage organizational budgets.
- Provide financial oversight and management of organization, including compliance with financial controls and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Work with bookkeeper to prepare and interpret financial reports for the Board of Directors and ensure that finances are independently reviewed and audited on a periodic basis.
Candidates must have a strong commitment to reproductive justice and the mission of NARAL Pro-Choice NC.
Education & Knowledge
- A bachelor's degree is required, masters or professional degree preferred, legal background a plus.
- Significant knowledge and understanding of reproductive justice principles and issues.
- High level of understanding of public policy, preferably within the context of North Carolina.
- Successful track record in nonprofit and/or political fundraising.
- Minimum of 5 years of public policy, lobbying, communications, or political campaign experience (preferably all).
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience in hiring and/or supervising staff and volunteers.
- Experience in budgeting and financial management.
Desired Skills & Attributes
- Strong familiarity with grassroots organizing strategies.
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communications skills.
- Political savvy and the ability to build and maintain diverse coalitions.
- A clear understanding of a broad and diverse member base and how to achieve it.
- Success at keeping multiple projects organized.
- Capacity for strategic thinking and long-term organizational planning.
- Ability to manage the finances of a small organization.
- An understanding of multi-entity nonprofits (c4/c3/PAC structure).
- Ability to gain and maintain confidence of Executive Committee, board, and key stakeholders.
- High personal and professional ethical standards.
- Flexibility to work occasional weekends/evenings.
- Ability to travel across the state as needed, occasional national travel.
Salary and overall compensation will be commensurate with the experience and background of the successful applicant. NARAL offers a professional work environment and an excellent paid time off plan.
To apply, visit www.armstrongmcguire.com/apply, click on the link to the NARAL NC Executive Director position and follow the instructions to upload your resume, cover letter, salary requirements and professional references. If you have difficulty with the application process, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NARAL Pro-Choice NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All positions must contribute to an atmosphere and organizational initiative in which diversity in all its dimensions is valued and supported.
Review of candidates will begin in January, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.