Giving Tuesday has announced May 5, 2020 to be #GivingTuesdayNow as an emergency response to COVID-19. It is designed to create a movement for unity and drive generosity for nonprofits. Many leaders, foundations, corporations, and online platforms have signed up showing their support for the movement.
Is #GivingTuesdayNow right for you?
It may be. The most important thing any nonprofit should be doing right now is communicating their mission, sharing how they are responding to COVID-19, and connecting with their donors. People want to help but need to know how.
The one thing you should not do is stop asking for support. During the last recession, overall philanthropic dollars went down 7% in 2008 and 6% in 2009. Those who saw the largest decreases in donations are those who paused fundraising.
If you are considering #GivingTuesdayNow, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have a strong online presence and following? Is this an opportunity to convert support to investment?
- What’s your strategy and call to action? Do you have a case for #GivingTuesdayNow?
- Do you have resources and time to allocate to this campaign? Would it detract from your current strategy or amplify it?
If you answered yes, this could be an opportunity for your base of support to be part of the solution.
Tips and Ideas for #GivingTuesdayNow
- Set and goal and share your why! Goals help build momentum and answering the why drives action.
- Use social media images to share your clear call to action. Don’t forget your numbers!
- Videos inspire giving. Short videos from your ED, Board Chair, program lead, and clients go a long way.
- Get your board, development committee, ambassadors, fellow teammates, or lead volunteers on board. Once you have a plan in place, ask for help to spread the word and support.
- Create a challenge for new online donors.
- Can you utilize a match to spur investment?
- Take advantage of the $300 tax credit and focus on smaller gifts.
- Make monthly giving the default to encourage ongoing investment.
- Build momentum. Start communications online and via email a week out.
- Recruit individuals to host their own peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns. Reach out to those who have raised funds for you in the past and see if they will do it again. Challenge volunteers to raise funds. Many online platforms are supporting this effort.
As a leader in the nonprofit sector you are standing the in gap, making a difference! Thank you for your leadership. For more information, go to https://now.givingtuesday.org/.